15 Cute and Creative Ways to Wear a Scarf
Scarves has been a part of the history way back from the Ancient Rome through the Chinese Empire.
They were once a way to distinguish soldiers by their ranks. It was only from the early 19th century that it has been a fashion trend. In modern times, scarves has been a staple fashion accent – a way to make an ordinary outfit extraordinary.
Scarves are probably one accessory we always have in our closet. It’s a handy accessory, no matter what the season is.
Whether it’s cold out and you’re globetrotting; or it’s hot and you’re making a fashion statement! There are so many ways to maximize this accessory.
Here are some stylish ways to wear a scarf around your neck, or switch things up for the summer.
1. The Big-Square Blanket-Scarf
This square blanket scarf should go well with your winter ensemble, plus it’s super easy to wear.
Fold your blanket scarf in half to make a triangular shape and create a lengthier material to work on. Hold both ends of your blanket scarf and cross them behind your head, so that both ends go back around the front. Tuck the ends under the scarf and give it a fluff to get the look you like. Wear this square blanket scarf on a night out with your girlfriends!
- Unfold your scarf.
- Fold it across evenly to create a triangle.
- Grab the two far ends of the triangle, one in either hand.
- Cross the two ends behind your head.
- Pull them around to the front.
- Tuck the two ends slightly under the rest of the scarf and fluff it out until the desired look is achieved.
2. The Autumn
Via by Scarves
- Step 1 — Loop the scarf twice around your neck
- Step 2 — Tie a knot behind your neck
- Step 3 — Take one end of the scarf
- Step 4 — Tuck it into one of the loops
- Step 5 — Take the other end
- Step 6 — Tuck it into the opposite loop. Adjust. Seize the day.
3. The Audrey Hepburn
4. The NYC
Via by Scarves
- Step 1 — Fold the scarf in half
- Step 2 — Drape the scarf around your neck
- Step 3 — Take one end of the scarf
- Step 4 — Pull it through the loop
- Step 5 — Twist the loop
- Step 6 — Pull the other end through the loop. Adjust.
5. The European-Classic or Loop
This is probably the easiest and simplest way to wear a scarf around your neck other than simply throwing a scarf around it. But if it’s good enough for celebrities, it’s perfect enough for this list.
We can see why celebrities, men and women alike, wear their scarf the European way. It’s pretty straightforward and you can wear it to the center or off to one side. You can follow the four easy steps here to wear a scarf the European classic way.
This style is quick, easy and always elegant. Wear a long scarf centered or jauntily pulled to the side.
- Fold the scarf in half and hold it so you have the two loose ends in your right hand and the fold in your left hand.
- Raise it over your head and center it against the back of your neck.
- Take the loose ends and feed them through the loop that was created by the fold.
- Pull the loose ends to cinch the loop up towards your neck.
6. As an Accessory
7. The Barcelona
- Step 1 — Drape the scarf around your neck
- Step 2 — Loop the scarf once
- Step 3 — Tie a knot close to the loop
- Step 4 — Pull & fluff the loop to hide the knot. Dance the Flamenco.
- Celebrities may don the European loop, but it can get boring sometimes. Giving it a little tweak will definitely shake things up. It’s pretty handy to know how to wear a winter scarf the classic European way. From this technique, you can easily learn a few more tweaks, like this European loop with a twist. Instead of a bulky loop to your front, you get a stylish and artsy pattern in the tradition of a macrame knot.
8. Harem Jumpsuit
- Step 1: Hold scarf vertically in front of your body. Wrap the top two corners around the back and double knot.
- Step 2: Pull the bottom of the scarf through the back of the legs.
- Step 3: Grab the two back corners and wrap around to the front of the waist, secure with a double knot.
9. The Double-Scarf Boho Tie
This technique is perfect for winter especially if you’re left with thinner scarves and you need to wear an extra to keep toasty and warm. It is also an occasion to wear more colors and be rock a vibrant fashion statement even in winter. Learn to wear your scarf the double boho tie here and wear it with a smile!
- Step 1: Take two neck scarves and make them line up with each other evenly. Then find the middle of the scarves and place it on your neck. Put the ends of the scarves over your shoulders and let them rest on your back.
- Step 2: Bring the ends of the scarf around to the front again and make a loose tie.
10. Headscarf Headband
This is one of my favorites for an easy bun day.
Start with a triangle scarf
- Step 1: Fold it in Half.
- Step 2: Fold it into a parallelogram.
- Step 3: roll (fold flat) it down
- Step 4: Tie it up
11. One-shoulder Dress
- Step 1: Hold Scarf vertically under one arm
- Step 2: Bring the two top corners over the shoulder and tie a double knot
- Step 3: Tie another double knot with the edges at the hip.
12. As a Top
13. The Fake Knot
This fake knot is perfect for long scarves and great to wear with a casual outfit. With four simple steps, you get a whole new way of wearing a scarf.
You simply slide your scarf over your shoulders and adjust the length so that left side of the scarf hanging in front of you is longer than the other side. Tie a knot on the side where the scarf is longer. Loosen the knot and simply slide the other end of the scarf into the knot.
- Step 1 — Place the scarf behind your neck
- Step 2 — Tie a knot on one side of the scarf
- Step 3 — Loosen the knot
- Step 4 — Pull the opposite end though the knot. Jump for joy.
14. The Ophelia
- Step 1 — Take the scarf & twist
- Step 2 — Fold in half & drape behind your neck
- Step 3 — Pull the scarf through the loop
- Step 4 — Bring both ends of the scarf through the top
- Step 5 — Skew slightly to one side. Adjust. Dance in the rain.
15. As a Kimono
Start with an infinity scarf
- Step 1: Twist loop into a figure 8.
- Step 2: Place the center of the two loops directly on your back.
- Step 3: Put your arms in each loop. Fluff sleeves out and adjust
Check out more creative videos below to find out how to tie a scarf for summer:
Learn how to wear a headscarf four different ways in this video from Luxy Hair:
…And for winter, check out some more warm ways to wear it on your neck:
Which is your favorite way to wear a scarf?
Tell us all about it in the comments section below!
Please subscribe and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook.
Check out more from Viva La Vibes:
- 12 Signs You’re Dating a “Player”
- 15 Facts About Weed (You Never Knew)
- Concealer Mistakes you Didn’t Know you Were Making
- 13 Celebs Who Look Like Completely Different People Now